Requirements For Getting Married In Belize
The good news is that it's very easy to get married in Belize, even if you're not a citizen or resident of the country. And once you're married in Belize, your marriage will immediately be valid in your home country.
To get married in Belize:
- You need to be in the country at least 3 days before the wedding ceremony.
- Both spouse and groom must be in Belize to apply for the marriage license.
- To get the license, you must show proof of identification (your passport) as well as any documents about divorce or the death of a former spouse. You do NOT need to take a blood test if you're over 18 years of age.
- You'll also need to provide a photocopy of the first two pages of the passport for both spouses and a copy of the page in each passport that shows the Belize entry stamp.
- The marriage license will be ready in 1-2 days after you apply.
- During the ceremony, you must have at least two witnesses, including one man and one woman.
- Only a Belizean minister, ship captain, or registered Justice of the Peace can officiate the wedding ceremony.
The marriage license can be acquired either in Belize City at the Registrar General's Office (phone number: 501-227-7377) or in Belmopan at the Attorney General's Ministry. If you want to apply for the license in Belmopan, you'll need to schedule an appointment at least a day in advance by calling (501) 822-2504.
If you are divorced, you must show a certified copy of the divorce decree. If your former spouse is deceased, you must show a certified copy of their death certificate.
Prospective spouses under age 18 must have signed and notarized consent by their parents in order to get married.
If you'd like to get married in Belize but don't have anyone to stand for you as witnesses, it's usually pretty easy to get hotel staff or guests to perform this function.
Once you're married in Belize, the marriage will be instantly valid in every other country in the world, so you won't have to file any additional paperwork when you get home. The official language of Belize is English, so your marriage certificate will also be in English in case you need it to update your driver's license, bank accounts, and other personal affairs.